Planning for the next three years
Members of various research and user communities gathered at the CHPC in Cape Town on 29 January 2015, to develop the centre’s strategic objectives for years 2015-2018.
This meeting is customary to the centre as it allows its users to determine the centre’s direction and focus and hopefully creates a sense of ownership among all. Some of the items on the agenda included:
- Projected scientific and engineering problems that will require HPC and the value of such studies in South Africa,
- The type of HPC architecture required for different scientific applications in the future,
- Developments in applications which should be taken into consideration,
- Demand in associated infrastucture, such as long-term data storage facilities and netowrk connectivity,
- Human capital development and focused training programmes to enable efficient utilisation of HPC across the user communities; and
- Projected scientific output when there has been sufficient provision of computational resources.
The user focused meeting was then followed by a CHPC staff meeting (30 January 2015) meant to use the community’s inputs to draft a strategy for the three-year term.