Members of various research and user communities gathered at the CHPC in Cape Town on 29 January 2015, to develop the centre’s strategic objectives for years 2015-2018.
This meeting is customary to the centre as it allows its users to determine the centre’s direction and focus and hopefully creates a sense of ownership among all. Some of the items on the agenda included:
- Projected scientific and engineering problems that will require HPC and the value of such studies in South Africa,
- The type of HPC architecture required for different scientific applications in the future,
- Developments in applications which should be taken into consideration,
- Demand in associated infrastucture, such as long-term data storage facilities and netowrk connectivity,
- Human capital development and focused training programmes to enable efficient utilisation of HPC across the user communities; and
- Projected scientific output when there has been sufficient provision of computational resources.
The user focused meeting was then followed by a CHPC staff meeting (30 January 2015) meant to use the community’s inputs to draft a strategy for the three-year term.