The Department of Science and technology (DST) has invested in a National Bioinformatics Service Platform (BSP ) with the aim of providing a range of user-centred and well-coordinated computational bioinformatics services to South African biotechnology industry and life science researchers. The BSP service shall encompass access to bioinformatics expertise, computational infrastructure, human capital development activities and research partnership opportunities.
The BSP will be governed under a Steering Committee assisted by two Advisory Committees:
- Service Advisory Committee
(To provide guidance on technical, services and scientific issues)
- Education Advisory Committee
(To provide guidance on education and other human capital development related matters)
The BSP would like to call for nomination for the above-stated committee members. In order to be eligible, candidate must hold a permanent position at a South African institute. The candidate must exhibit a firm understanding of the needs of bioinformatics services to non-bioinformaticists and clearly demonstrated at least 5 years of experience in one or more of the following criteria:
- Provisioning of high-end computational bioinformatics services,
- Deploying and/or developing computational bioinformatics tools,
- Implementing comprehensive bioinformatics education programs,
- Engaging in life sciences and/or biomedical research that are critically dependent on bioinformatics service.
Please kindly express your interest by sending an email to Dr Jeff Chen (
) along with your CV.
Dr Jeff Chen